Summertime is officially here, so it’s time to break out the shorts, tank tops, and beaches! If you’re like most people, you’re probably looking on to enjoying the warm weather.
But summertime can be more challenging if you’re recovering from plastic surgery.
Here are some tips to help make your recovery easier during the summer months.
Tip #1: Wear Loose-Fitting Clothing
One tip that Dr. Nick Masri often gives his patients during recovery is wearing loose clothing.
There are a few reasons for this, such as:
- Loose-fitting clothing is more comfortable than tight clothing. This tip is vital for someone recovering from an illness or injury. It’s also great for patients who need to rest and avoid unnecessary physical activity.
- It allows patients to move more freely. Patients can move around during their recovery with ease. And by doing so, they will keep their muscles and joints from stiffening up.
- It is less likely to irritate the skin. This is crucial for recovering patients who have sensitive skin.
Tip #2: Stay Cool
When you’re not feeling well, the last thing you want is to be hot and sticky. But staying cool isn’t just about being comfortable— it’s also part of the recovery process.
If your body temperature rises, your heart rate goes up. Your blood vessels widen to dissipate the heat. It can lead to dehydration and loss of essential nutrients.
Here’s a quick rundown on how to stay cool during your recovery:
- Make sure to drink plenty of water and avoid sugary drinks as they can make you feel dizzy and tired in the heat.
- When it’s hot out, stay in the shade as much as possible.
- Moving air will help you feel cooler, so use a fan or air conditioner.
Tip #3 Keep the Surgical Area Clean and Dry
Dr. Nidal Masri always tells his patients to clean and dry their surgical areas.
Here are a few reasons why:
- It keeps the area free from infection.
- It allows the incision to heal more quickly.
- It reduces the likelihood of scarring.
- It makes it less likely for the stitches to come out.
Tip #4: Follow Your Doctor’s Post-Operative Instructions
Following your doctor’s instructions is essential for a fast recovery.
Adhering to the prescribed diet and medication regimen gives your body the best option to heal.
Plus, follow-up appointments ensure that there’s no potential problem.