Even though you live an active lifestyle and eat a well-balanced diet, you may still be struggling with stubborn fat pockets—excess skin and fat that no amount of exercise or weight loss can remove.
If you’re tired of hiding those pesky fat pockets with your clothes, then body contouring surgery is the solution.
But what exactly is body contouring surgery?
Check out the rest of this article to find out—including the questions you need to prepare during your consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Nidal Masri.
Body Contouring Surgery: An Overview
Perhaps when you think of body contouring, you visualize a toned, well-defined and sculpted body.
Well, that’s exactly what this surgery aims to give you.
Also referred to as body sculpting, body contouring surgery uses a variety of surgical procedures to improve the appearance and elasticity of your skin and tissues after a significant weight loss.
It does so by removing excess fat and sagging skin to restore your body’s original silhouette before pregnancy, breastfeeding, or drastic weight loss.
But no matter how pleasing the results may seem, remember that body contouring isn’t an instant weight loss solution. It’s meant for candidates who have already reached their ideal weight but are still battling stubborn fat pockets and sagging skin.
Popular Body Sculpting Surgeries
The most popular body contouring surgeries include:
- Tummy Tuck
- Arm and Thigh Lift
- Brazilian Butt Lift
- Body Lift
Tummy tuck targets your abdomen, while Brazilian butt lift works on your buttocks. A panniculectomy removes the pannus—the stretched-out and overhanging skin from the abdomen. A body lift covers more areas such as your thighs, hips, waist, abdomen, and groin.
Take note that you don’t have to undergo all these surgeries. You only have to get the ones that fix your problem areas to help you achieve your desired body.
Ideal Candidates for Body Contouring
Are you thinking of getting body contouring surgery?
As mentioned above, it’s not for people still planning to lose more weight. Ideally, you should be on your ideal weight before getting any body contouring surgery. Plus-size patients may also get surgery, but that’s only if they’re no longer planning to lose weight.
Chronic conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, kidney complications, or arthritis may affect your recovery. Besides having a sustainable and healthy weight, you also have to obtain clearance from your physician. This is especially important if you’re above your ideal weight.
At the same time, it is recommended that you cease smoking before and after the surgery for faster healing.
Expectations in a Body Contouring Consultation
Once you’re inside the office of Dr. Nick Masri, here is a quick rundown of what you’d discuss:
- Goals you’d like to achieve with the surgery
- Existing medical conditions, drug allergies, and other medical histories
- Current lifestyle preferences and habits
- Previous surgeries (if any)
Aside from these talking points, it’s also best to ask questions so you can make informed decisions for your upcoming surgery.
But what should those questions be?
Questions You Need to Ask Before a Body Contouring Surgery
When you schedule a consultation with Dr. Masri, remember that you need to have a clear and complete picture of your surgery before committing to it.
He’ll likely discuss all you need to know right from the get-go, but if you have more concerns, here’s a quick checklist of the questions that need to be answered during your consultation.
About the Surgeon
Your surgeon is your right-hand man in your quest to achieve your dream body. This is one of the reasons why you must be critical in choosing your surgeon.
The questions below will inform you of your selected surgeon’s experience and expertise in handling a body contouring surgery:
- How many years of medical and surgical expertise do you have?
- Are you board-certified?
- Do you have a portfolio of patients who also underwent the same body contouring surgery I’d like to have?
- Have you performed body sculpting for patients who have undergone weight loss through bariatric surgery?
- Are you affiliated with hospitals or surgery centers that can provide post-surgery care?
- Are you capable of handling emergencies during body sculpting surgery?
- Are you willing to perform a revision procedure when the final results are inconsistent with what was agreed upon during the initial consultation?
About the Surgery
Like any other surgery, you should know as much info as possible about body sculpting surgery before committing to it.
To expand your knowledge about the surgery, here are questions you can ask your surgeon.
- Can you explain the surgical process to me?
- Would you perform the body sculpting surgery using general or local anesthesia?
- Do I need to change my current lifestyle, eating habits, and level of activity before the surgery?
- Do I need to stop taking specific medications before the surgery?
- What preemptive measures can I take to guarantee a prepared body for the procedure?
- Can you give me past testimonials from previous patients to learn about body contouring from their perspective?
About the Recovery
Post-operative care is essential to guarantee the results you want to achieve.
Be diligent in following your surgeon’s recovery instructions. And don’t forget to ask the questions listed below to avoid post-op risks.
- What would I feel during the recovery period?
- Are there any risks to body sculpting that I should be aware of?
- How long is the estimated downtime after the surgery is completed?
- When can I do light tasks, resume office work, or do light exercises?
- Will I be required to take medications while recovering?
- What medications am I not allowed to take while recovering?
- When do I go back for a follow-up? Am I required to go back for a check-up?
A body-contouring surgery is a surefire way to be proud and confident of the body you’ve worked hard for.If you’re ready to take the next step, Dr. Nick Masri is more than happy to help you with any body-contouring surgery. He is a board-certified surgeon specializing in body sculpting surgeries to help you achieve the body you desire.
Just message us for any of your questions, or better yet, book a consultation with us now!